When it comes to a criminal cases and actually settling the case in San Fernando Valley, CA, typically you’re going to be put on probation for a period of time that can range anywhere from one to five years, depending on whether it’s a felony or a misdemeanor or a whole host of other factors.

What will happen is, you’ll be given a court date. You’re going to have to show proof that you’re doing what you’re supposed to — whether it be paying a fine, doing a course — whether it is the court orders you to do. Instead of just ordering you to do it then forgetting about you and let you go on your merry way, the court is actually going to keep track to make sure that you’re doing what you’re doing.

Completing the Terms and Conditions of Probation

For example, let’s say they give you 30 days of Caltrans to do. They’re going to keep checking to make sure you have done it. If you don’t do it when it’s supposed to be done by — if they give you a completion date — then you’re going to be looking at jail time in order to resolve that Caltrans that you didn’t do.

I mean, that’s how seriously the courts take their orders and what people are supposed to do. They’re so overcrowded. They don’t even have time to keep messing around with people, so once it gets to a point where somebody’s not doing what they’re supposed to do, it’s just easier for the court to throw that person in jail and once they get out of jail they’re done and they don’ have to see them anymore.

So, what you’re doing after you settle a case is fulfilling whatever terms and conditions you’re supposed to fill. Some people are lucky and they don’t have to really do anything except keeping their nose clean and keep out of trouble, and if that’s in a misdemeanor case, you don’t ever have to go back to court again if you do everything you’re supposed to and your probation will automatically terminate at the end of it, whether it be one, two or three years.

Probation Officer Supervision on Felony Cases

If it’s a felony case, on the other hand, they’re going to keep much tighter tabs on you. A lot of times you’re reporting to a probation officer. The probation officer is going to make sure that you’re not getting any new arrests and you’re doing everything that you’re supposed to do.

As far as physically dealing with these progress reports in court, a lot of times you can just handle them yourself. You can show up there early, have your paperwork ready, give it to the bailiff and the bailiff will give it to the Judge. They’ll call the case and you’ll be out of there.

Other times, especially if it’s a felony, they of course, like to have your attorney there. So, a lot of times your attorney is going to be there. So, that’s something you coordinate with your attorney.

Sometimes just depending on convenience and speed, we’ll have our clients take care of the progress reports themselves; other times we will take care of the progress reports for the client; and yet other times, we’ll both be there to take care of it to make sure everything is going smoothly and they’re cooperating with their probation.

So, after you settle your criminal case in Los Angeles, you really just have to remain diligent to do everything you’re supposed to do, and if you do that and get everything taken care of quickly — or as quickly as you’re able to do based on your situation — a lot of times the Judge will just take your case off calendar and set a date in the future so you can get your probation dealt with.

So, that’s your best bet. If you don’t do what you’re supposed to — you keep messing up — then the Judge is going to keep making you come back to court which is a big pain. It costs you time, money and stress.

Contact our San Fernando Valley Criminal Lawyers

So, if you’ve got a situation and you’re concerned because you’ve got progress reports following a conviction in a criminal case in San Fernando or Van Nuys, CA, give the Hedding Law Firm a call. We can talk about it see what I can do to assist you.

For more information on Resolving Or Settling Your Criminal Case, a free initial consultation is your next step. Get the information and legal answers you are seeking by calling (213) 542-0940 today.