When it comes to juvenile crimes, jail sentences are usually saved for those who really need to be scared straight and/or who are a danger to the public at large. An alternative form of punishment is home probation, which would allow the juvenile to continue going to school and avoid disruptions to their education.

The juvenile system is designed to do what is best for the minor, but also to weigh that against what is best for society. Foster homes and/or boot camps can also be options in some cases. Ultimately, these matters are best coordinated with the attorney, prosecutor, judge, probation department, and parents involved in the case.

Alternative Punishment to Keep Conviction Off Child’s Record

Whether or not an alternative punishment will prevent a conviction from showing on a child’s record is something that is negotiable. In juvenile cases, the goal is to take advantage of options which are not available to adult offenders and to ensure that a juvenile’s record will be sealed and destroyed.

There are some crimes that are not eligible to be sealed and destroyed, but most juvenile crimes can be. Once a conviction has been sealed and destroyed, it is inaccessible to everyone, including the police and Department of Justice.

Some parents try to save money by not hiring an attorney to defend their child, and this is a mistake. Having an attorney will allow parents to identify from the very beginning the best strategy for their child’s situation and to enter the court with a game plan and their child’s best interests in mind.

In the absence of a hired defense attorney, a public defender who has no information about the case will be presented with all of the information at once, and will therefore start out at a disadvantage.

An experienced and prepared attorney needs to be involved from the start in order to ensure that the minor gets treated fairly and has the best chance of having their record sealed. It is only when this can be accomplished that a juvenile defendant will be able to fully recover and have access to all possible future job prospects.

Why Does A Child Even Need A Lawyer?

When it comes to juvenile matters, a juvenile does not plead guilty but instead admits a petition. In some cases, admitting a petition will have negative ramifications that will result in a conviction that cannot be dismissed or sealed.

Under such circumstances, it might be more beneficial to fight the case or have an attorney work out a resolution rather than admit the petition. For example, an attorney may be able to work out a deal for a lesser charge that is eligible to be sealed and destroyed.

It is ill-advised to throw one’s self at the mercy of the courts and much wiser to have an attorney work out a resolution that makes sense for the minor’s future and gives them the best chances of a bright path forward into a wonderful life as a young adult.

For more information on Alternative Punishments For Juvenile Offenders, a free initial consultation is your next best step. Get the information and legal answers you are seeking by calling (213) 542-0940 today.