How Can You Get Your Criminal Case Dismissed in Los Angeles?

Posted by Ronald D. HeddingSep 29, 2023

Let's review some of the best ways to get your criminal case dismissed in Los Angeles County Courts. I've been getting criminal cases dismissed in LA for the past 30+ years. 

I've got a lot of experience as a criminal defense attorney.  I've also worked for the district attorney's office and a superior court judge early in my career.  So, I believe I do know the angles of how to get a case dismissed.

One thing is that we can get a City Attorney hearing often, especially in misdemeanor cases.  Once the prosecutors decide to do a City Attorney hearing, they're typically not even going to file the case. 

You don't even have to worry about a dismissal.  If they don't file it, you have no record of a criminal case being filed against you. 

Then we just have to figure out how to get the arrest, if you were arrested and your fingerprints taken, off your criminal record.  That's another discussion, another story, but something you'll want to try to do.

Of course, the most common way that people think of to get a criminal case dismissed is going through a jury trial.  I'm in a jury trial right now in LA County.  The judge will dismiss the case if you can convince the jury that your client is not guilty.

Persuade Prosecutor to Dismiss Case

Another angle is to convince the prosecutors that they've made a mistake once they've filed the case.  Give them other evidence that shows they should have never filed the case in the first place and that they will lose the case in a jury trial. 

Convince them to dismiss the case via Penal Code Section 1385 PC or Penal Code Section 1382 PC.  These are both valid Penal Code Sections that can be utilized to get a dismissal from the prosecutors.  But, of course, you'll have to show that there are some serious problems with the case.

Judicial Diversion

Another new concept I've seen come up recently is the judicial diversion defined under California Penal Code 1001.95 PC.  That's where the judge takes the case and allows you for usually 12 months, although any timeframe can be negotiated through your attorney to complete some sort of a course, such as;

  • an anger management course,
  • a domestic violence course,
  • a drug or alcohol-related course.

Whatever they believe is the root of why you entered the criminal justice system, if you can finish that course and not get in trouble for 12 months. Again, whatever is decided, you can get a dismissal on the judicial diversion and get your arrest record sealed and destroyed. 

It's beautiful because it does everything you would want it to do.  This is a new concept that has come into play a lot now in LA County.  I've been able to get a lot of cases referred and dismissed through judicial diversion.

Experienced Criminal Lawyer

I think probably the most important thing, and you figured it out, is that having a great criminal defense attorney is crucial to getting a dismissal. 

Not every case can be dismissed, but if you want to have any chance to have your case dismissed once it's filed, in my opinion, you better get somebody who knows what they're doing – whose got experience, who has local connections, and knows how to fight criminal cases. 

If you need the best, you've come to the right place.  Pick up the phone now.  Ask for a meeting with Ron Hedding.  I am the complete package.  I have worked for the prosecutors.  I have worked for a judge, and since the early 1990s, I've worked for people like you, fighting cases, getting them dismissed, and working out incredible resolutions for my clients.  I stand at the ready to help you.

Pick up the phone.  Ask for a meeting with Ron Hedding. The Hedding Law Firm offers a free case evaluation.

Related Content: